Lake County Felony Defense Lawyer
Representing Clients Charged with Felonies in Skokie and Waukegan
If you or a loved one is charged with a felony in Illinois, the most important thing to do is hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. Felony crimes can carry lengthy prison sentences and have serious negative repercussions, but an experienced attorney can help mitigate those consequences. At the Law Offices of Matthew R. Gebhardt, P.C., we are experienced in handling a wide variety of felony charges. A former prosecutor, Attorney Matthew R. Gebhardt understands how felony cases are prosecuted. Our Skokie felony defense attorney uses his past experience and extensive knowledge of the law to protect the rights and freedom of his clients.
Understanding Felony Classifications in Illinois
Felonies are significantly more serious than misdemeanors and have much more severe penalties. In Illinois, there are 5 classes of felonies. They are:
- Class 4 Felonies—Punishable by 1-3 years in prison and up to $25,000 fine. (i.e. Aggravated assault, felony DUI, stalking)
- Class 3 Felonies—Punishable by 2-5 years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines. (i.e. Retail theft with a value of item between $300 and $2,000, aggravated battery)
- Class 2 Felonies—Punishable by 3-7 years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines. (i.e. arson)
- Class 1 Felonies—Punishable by 4-15 years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines. (i.e. sexual assault)
- Class X Felonies—Punishable by 6-30 years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines. (i.e. aggravated sexual assault, armed robbery)
Facing a felony charge can be very frightening, but we are here to help you through the process and protect you along the way. We work closely with our clients to create effective defense strategies and make sure you stay informed and involved throughout. We are dedicated to obtaining the best possible result in every case whether that is a dismissal, reduced charges or an acquittal at trial.
If you or a loved on has been charged with a felony, contact us to schedule a consultation with a Lake County felony defense attorney. From our Northbrook office we serve clients throughout Cook, Lake and DuPage Counties. From just a small sampling of our files, we are currently representing individuals from Arlington Heights, Barrington, Chicago, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Highland Park, Glenview, Libertyville, Lincolnshire, Lincolnwood, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Park Ridge and Rolling Meadows.